Friday 10 October 2014

Creating an Image (Moodboard)

Using PicMonkey I have created a moodboard that reflects the brand identity of IYES. I have used stills from music videos including:

Rihanna "We Found Love"

Most of my inspiration for the music video comes from Rihanna's video because although the genre of music is different, I feel that the content of the visuals reflects the more alternative or "indie" subgenre that I'm aiming to bring across in my own music video. I particularly like the youthful feel to the to the video as I feel that my target audience can identify with the messy student accommodation/first place look. On the moodboard you can see the typical "Tumblr" bedroom look with Polaroid pictures on string, fairy lights and a still from Rihanna's video of the stripped, undone bed. It is also very fresh and urban; I feel the image I should create for IYES is urban and alternative. It shouldn't be too glossy and "Hollywood" as the subgenre of music simply doesn't correlate.




The Weeknd "Rolling Stone"

The Weeknd released several videos similar to this with a minimal, chiaroscuro effect- this again gives it that gritty, alternative feel. The background and props are very simplistic in comparison to Rihanna's which has quick sharp cuts from one scene to the other which reveals new locations and props each time. However in terms of using photos for my digipak later, I want to produce something similar to The Weeknd's brand identity across these particular videos.

"Wicked Games"




I also included some images of The XX and Banks. Both I feel are similar artists to IYES in many ways in terms of vocals and instrumentals so I think that influence from both Banks and The XX will create a good brand identity for IYES. The XX often wear dark clothing that is like a modern 21st century take on 90s grunge. Nevertheless I want my female singer's appearance to look more like Banks' by remaining grunge but sustaining a sense of femininity. This can be achieved through the makeup using glitter as I associate the glittery eye look with indie festivals and therefore youthfulness.






No comments:

Post a Comment